Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bonding Over Dishes

A few days ago, Phillip pointed out that we used to wash dishes together (him washing, me drying), but for some time now he has washed alone. I’m not sure how it started; perhaps it was when I needed every free minute to work on my thesis. Whatever the reason, Phillip said he missed my company, and asked if I would mind joining him again. Yesterday evening I resumed my post, towel in hand, and we had a good time talking and just enjoying each other’s company. The companionship with my husband is definitely worth more than whatever housework or leisure I’d have been doing instead.

I had planned to join Phillip for dish duty again tonight, but by evening I had a splitting headache. I was torn between spending quality time with my husband and curling up in a fetal position with our big, stuffed iguana. I decided to compromise and just pull up a chair near Phillip while he was washing. I'm glad I did--we had a thoughtful discussion about things we've been reading lately.

It's funny--lately we've been struggling to come up with activities to do at home together (Joy goes to sleep pretty early, and we lack the funds for expensive dates anyway). You can only play so many games, watch so many movies, etc. I never imagined that housework would be our magical solution, but it's turning out to be a great way for us to hang out and just enjoy being together. And hey, you can't beat the price.

8 comments:

Alissa said...

have you guys thought about joining Netflix? it's cheap and delivers right to your house! that's one of the things we like to do. we just alternate who picks the movie!

Caitlin said...

Gotta get it when you can!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Alissa - we may look into that. It would be nice to not have to mess with availability, late fees, etc.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

That is very sweet. It also cuts the time in less than half to do them together. In our apartment we didn't have a dishwasher. (Yeah, cry me a river, it was just hard to go back to manual labor after living in a house.) I always prefered the nights we worked on it together. I agree that it is sometimes hard to find things to do in the evening after kids are in bed. Especially if you don't want to just sink into the mire of TV watching until your brain feels like it will explode.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

That's one reason we don't have a TV. I know once we start down that easy (and in our case addicting) road, we'll stop looking for activities where we actually interact and/or do something interesting.

Assuming such activities exist . . . :)

Anonymous said...

Louis and I also have trouble finding things to do together. Of course, we neither of us generally cook, except for our weekly home evening now, but eating can be such an intimate thing. And, being the geeks we are, we WoW together. We're getting to the point where we will actually be able to 2v2 arena together!!

CJ said...

Adam and I typically take opposite shifts after dinner-- I bathe baby and put her to bed, while he cleans up and does the dishes. But I find it so much more enjoyable when we have the (rare) opportunity to slow down and share in both tasks together. Baby loves it too.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Yeah, in family, the Gospel, life . . . little things make such a huge difference.

Vonnie - good luck in the arena. :) What are your characters? Gnome and elf? Torin and troll?