Sunday, August 12, 2007

Godspeed

As most of you probably already know, President James E. Faust of the Church's First Presidency passed away yesterday morning. I will really miss that man. I have long felt a warm affection and respect for him, as if he were some sort of third grandpa to me. Perhaps it was because he often flavored good counsel with a bit of personal experience, like a dash of seasoning that makes wholesome food delicious. He invited us into his life and his memory, so he seemed familiar to me, even though we've never met.

I'm glad he has moved on to greet the Lord he loved, but I'll sure miss him down here.

3 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Years ago, he presided over a stake conference in Ogden when he was an apostle. My family arrived early and sat near the front because we knew it would be crowded. After the meeting, we stayed to shake his hand. My youngest brother was about 8 at the time. Elder Faust said some polite words to us each in turn and then hugged my brother. Even at age 8, my brother had a wonderful sense of humor. For a whole week after that hug he would walk around saying, "You know what, Elder Faust hugged me." Years later whenever he would speak, my brother would repeat these same words. It is a good memory because, as the chruch grows and the structure of our stake conferences change, it is so rare to meet an apostle anymore. I think that memory also says much for Elder Faust's character. Despite how busy he must have been and the pressures of being an apostle, he took time to hug a little boy.

CJ said...

I loved President Faust's gentle demeanor and will dearly miss him. Each time we lose one of our great leaders, it feels like losing a very close friend.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

STM - what a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it.

Carrie - I know how you feel. Funny that we can feel so close to people most of us have never met.