Sunday, August 26, 2007

Quote of the Day - "Roommates"

"Love ebbs and flows, but it goes on being love. We are used to the fluctuations in our own feelings. I know, for example, that I don't love my husband exactly the same way every day. We go through periods of living more like roommates, bumping up against each other matter-of-factly in the ordinary course of living in the same house. I'm busy; he's busy. Love ebbs. Then something happens: I don't know what it is. Maybe I get a little extra sleep one night, maybe he does--maybe something nice comes in the mail. Maybe he says something that makes me laugh and look at him, really look at him, for the first time in days. Maybe absolutely nothing I can identify happens. But one day we decide on the spur of the moment to go out for ice cream together after dinner, or maybe I suddenly feel like giving him a hug, and it isn't just roommates anymore. Love flows back up around us again, warm and familiar." --Beppie Harrison

I came across this quote a few weeks ago. It paints an incredibly accurate portrait of my marriage (and probably yours, too, if you're married). Phillip and I are both a bit introverted, often content to spend hours working alone on our individual tasks and projects. We respect and love each other, but sometimes we do seem more like roommates than sweethearts.

Then all of a sudden a word, a gesture, a thought wakes my sleeping heart, and I feel so lucky to have this man in my life. I'm almost overwhelmed with gratitude for his good heart, for the fun we have together, for our ability to relate to each other.

I'm glad I have a roommate who does the dishes, a partner who shares my principles, and a sweetheart who makes my life so much sweeter than it would otherwise have been.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I thought this was a really interesting post, Kim. It's true, sometimes you get so into your day-to-day routine that you forget how much you love your spouse. I think that's why weekly date nights are important (maybe Joel and I should start doing that, haha :). I must admit, though, I've never had a better roommate!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

YES! Perfect quote. Especially after a new baby throws off the family dynamic for a few months and we work hard to get back to center.

Lizardbreath McGee said...

BLAST!

I need a husband.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Why? Does your current roommate not do the dishes, Beth?

Just kidding. There's a wonderful man out there for you, and he'll be well worth the wait.