Sunday, January 9, 2011

Bread Quest

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . reading this quote in a bread cookbook: "The changing of clay made from flour, salt, and water into dough, through the infusion of leaven, represents a transformation from dead to alive; it does not get much more radical than that in the kitchen."

And another thing . . .

. . . I used to think baking bread was hard. I have since decided that baking bread is actually easy; finding a really great wheat bread recipe I want to eat gobs of every day is hard. I actually sampled such a bread in the temple a few weeks ago, and I'm seriously considering going back at 4:30am some Saturday morning to beg the baker to teach me her secrets. Or I could just try baking The Bread STM Knew in the Preexistence; I even have some vital wheat gluten on hand. I guess that will be next experiment. Wish me luck.

No comments: