Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Weed Whacker Cometh

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . waking up feeling like I'd swallowed a weed-whacker. Mornings like that make me grateful for Christ's resurrection, so that someday we'll have perfect bodies that don't get hurt or sick.

. . . nearly every time I swallowed today.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . drinking lemon tea (warm water with lemon juice and honey), prescribed by a nurse friend in the ward and by virtually every Uruguayan I met during my mission. I'm not sure how much it actually helped my throat, but it felt physically good to drink it and emotionally good to be doing anything to ease the pain.

And another thing . . .

. . . thanks to my dear husband who held down the fort so I could rest today.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I've got a weed whacker in my throat too.

Guatemalans swear chamomile tea will fix your throat. I've had good experiences with its curative powers but hate the tate, so much so that I've cristened it "nas-tea". However, your taste buds are very different from mine, so you might want to give it a shot.

2-3 chamomile tea bags steeped in about 6 ounces of water (or apple juice, my preference because, as I said, I don't like chamomile). The stronger you make this, the better it is.
Lots of honey.

I first tried chamomile after a sore throat where I totally lost my voice--a bad thing for a missionary! This brought it back. I've used it since, though it's been a while. I need to try it again since I wonder whether there might be a connection between this sore throat cure and my immunity to strep throat. Probably not, but I wonder...especially since it's been a couple of years since I had any nas-tea, and, voila, I've had strep this year when I've never had it before. Maybe just a different bacterial strain but I do still wonder...

Cathy said...

Probably worth adding that my little family has had strep so many times we had Morgan's tonsil out when he was four. So when I say I was immune to strep, I really know.

SupaFlowaPowa said...

eek - hope you feel better soon! The water is good for you because it will help you pee out all the germs. Keep doing it!!! I also have some type of Chinese herbal throat mixie thing that goes inside hot water - not sure if it works, but it sure tastes better than plain hot water! Hang in there, and don't worry about the fort, it's well protected by your hubby until you get better!

Siobhan said...

Funny enough, I've always known hot water with lemon and honey as a hot toddy--Grandma used to give it to me growing up when my throat was sore. Of course, that was the virgin kind. The original recipe calls for the addition of whiskey or rum. Frankly, I think that would make it hurt more.

I do hope you'll fee better, though. I think I have something similar at the moment, so I can empathize.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. Cathy, I think I may try some chamomile. It must work really well if you keep using it despite the taste.