Friday, May 25, 2012

Introvert with a Jetpack

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . Daniel being Captain Crankypants this afternoon.  I finally put him down early for his nap, and he was out within a few minutes.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . playing Uno with the big kids.  They get so excited when they win (and let's face it--I do, too).

. . . sprinting to the laundry room with Daniel.  He laughed the whole way there and back.

. . . playing Jetpack Joyride with Phillip on his iPhone.

And another thing . . .

. . . I once heard someone define introverts not as people who dislike socializing or struggle to do it, but as people who prefer to recharge their batteries alone rather than in a social setting.  By that definition, I am definitely an introvert, and that can be tough as a parent because when I'm stressed I can't exactly ask the little people to give me half on hour of peaceful alone time (unless at least two of them are in bed--huzzah for nap time!).  I wonder if, when extroverted parents get stressed, they say, "I'm feeling grouchy and frustrated; let's all do something fun together to cheer ourselves up!"  It sounds delightful and even logical in principle, but in practice it's the last thing I feel like doing.  When the kids are in a pesky mood or I'm feeling overwhelmed, I sometimes wish I had a nanny so I could just say, "Take the reins for half an hour; I need to take a walk."

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I never thought I would admit to cheating at Uno all the time . . . in the kids' favor of course! I've also been known to rig the Candyland deck.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I occasionally cheat, too. It's usually in their favor, but sometimes when the game has been going on too long and I only have a couple cards left . . .