Friday, May 11, 2012

A Razor Ride and an Empty Victory

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . Anna waking me up at 3:30am, then deciding that she didn't want to eat after all.  She went right back to sleep when I put her in bed, but for some bizarre reason I couldn't get back to sleep for two hours.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . zipping across town on Phillip's Razor to pick up our car from the mechanic while a neighbor watched my kids.  A pedestrian called out "Don't hurt yourself," as I whizzed past him on the sidewalk, and I cheerfully replied, "You, too!"

And another thing . . .

. . . Joy's preschool class recently submitted drawings of animals for a local library's "Be Kind to Animals" art display.  We got her drawing back today, with a blue paper ribbon attached saying she was a "Winner."  I asked Joy's teacher if all the drawings had "Winner" ribbons attached.  Sure enough, they all did.

I understand that the library is trying to praise the efforts of all budding artists, but it seems almost insulting to imply that every single person is a "Winner" regardless of skill or effort.  No wonder our country's performance and work ethic is flagging if we're so scared of hurting feelings that we don't teach kids that success requires effort, you don't instantly excel at everything you try, and you don't "win" just by showing up.

No comments: