Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Weekend in the Mountains

This weekend, . . .

my favorite moments included . . .

. . . driving through corridors of pine trees on the way to my parents' cabin.

. . . seeing signs of spring in the mountains: dogwoods blooming in the glens, light green new growth on the tips of spruce branches, pink fuzzy new oak leaves, and manzanita flowers that look like tiny pink balloons.  The Spanish broom was in bloom, too; I know it's technically an invasive weed, but I can't help being cheered by all those bright yellow blossoms.

. . . my dad proudly showing off the first dozen cherries he hopes to harvest from the trees he planted a few years ago.

. . . talking with my mom for hours.

. . . praying for help with a dilemma that was weighing on me, and having a solution come to my mind.

. . . seeing a chipmunk hunting for breakfast outside.  I grew up watching Chip and Dale cartoons, and since they had short tails I'm always a little surprised to see that the live version has a long tail.  I guess short tails were easier to animate.

. . . watching the big kids play with pinwheels.

No comments: