Sunday, June 24, 2012

Smiles


Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . seeing Joy smile.

. . . glancing at my husband and noticing the "white badge of courage" (i.e. dried baby food and who knows what else) smeared on the shoulder of his suit coat. I love that man.

. . . Joy playing happily with her second cousins.

. . . watching great grandpa walk past with an ice cream cone and a big grin. I just had to go get an ice cream cone, too.

And another thing . . .

. . . apparently I noticed a lot of smiles today. The one that stood out the most was from a little boy at church who I don't even know. I noticed him looking at me so I smiled at him, and without hesitation he flashed a genuine smile back at me. I suppose it made an impression on me because so often people (myself included) respond to a smile with a half-hearted courtesy smile, or they self-consciously look away if you catch their eye. This boy's easy, sincere smile seemed to convey a belief that life and the people in it are good and wish him well. Since we tend to find what we look for, he's probably right.

No comments: