Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cheerios, Chocolate, and Cochinita Pibil

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  eating way, way too many sweets today.  "Death by chocolate" sounds so blissfully indulgent until you actually attempt it.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . waking up to the sound of Joy getting little Anna some Cheerios to eat.  I'm really proud of Joy for taking care of her little sister without even being asked.

. . . my family getting excited about the gifts I gave them.

. . . talking with my brother Andrew, who's in town for the holidays.

. . . looking through a cookbook Phillip gave me for Christmas.  It has recipes from a region where he served as a missionary, and though I can't imagine what some of the ingredients taste like, I'm looking forward to trying the recipes (including the cochinita pibil).  I wonder if the local Latin markets carry banana leaves and epazote?

. . . finally learning (courtesy of Phillip) how to crack a pecan and get it out of its shell without turning the fragile nut into nut-crumbs.

. . . noting that Blogger's best spell-check suggestion for "epazote" is "newspaper."   Oh, Blogger.

No comments: