Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Snow Queen and the King of Kings


Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . trading kisses with the big kids under the mistletoe.  I'm surprised at how much they like that little tradition.

. . . sharing some frozen yogurt with the kids.

. . . Joy getting a kick out of the Garfield comic book she checked out from the library.  I loved Garfield as a kid, and it was fun to hear her laugh out loud, then hurry over to show me comic strips I remember from a couple decades ago.

. . . attending our ward's Relief Society Christmas activity.  The program was uplifting, and the music was absolutely lovely.  As one woman sang O Holy Night, I felt immensely grateful for Christ's unconditional love for me.  I left wanting to hug and smile at everyone.

And another thing . . .

. . . I read Hans Christian Anderson's "The Snow Queen" while the kids and I were at the library this afternoon.  The meandering tale wasn't at all what I expected, and I'm still trying to decide whether I like it or not.  Old Hans had an interesting style, both more grim and more childlike than I'm accustomed to.  They are also unabashedly Christian, despite being inhabited by witches and mermaids and the like, and it's pretty obvious that Anderson's goal was to teach children to make good choices (e.g. say your prayers, look for the good in life and people, play nice with your toys, if you truly love someone get married in a church).  I appreciate that, but I wonder how the current Disney generation of kids would respond to fairy tales where the ending isn't always happy (in the short term), and the key to ultimate joy is Christlike love, not romantic love.  I guess I could read a few to my kindergartner and find out.

No comments: