Thursday, December 20, 2012

Jogging, Dancing, Done

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . dancing to Christmas music with Daniel and Anna.

. . . getting my Christmas shopping done.

And another thing . . .

. . . as I hurried out to my car this evening to run seven different errands after the  kids were in bed, I suddenly grasped (for the first time in my life) why some people might actually enjoy jogging.  I've never understood why people would repeatedly exhaust their bodies just to get right back where they started from, but tonight I realized that it might be because jogging is simple and achievable in a complex and uncertain world.

The road to your other life goals (e.g. romance, career advancement, good parenting) may be confusing, maddeningly slow, and devoid of guarantees, but the process of running a mile is very straightforward and you can do it as fast as you're willing and able.  It's refreshingly simple, and you're guaranteed success as long as you just keep going.

This is not to say that I have any plan to take up jogging (aside from running to the car or the laundry room because it just feels good to do something fast now and then), but I can understand why a person might say, "Life is making me crazy; I need to go run a few miles."

No comments: