Monday, December 17, 2012

Scary Goal and Fine Print

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  looking up a recent post on my blog and discovering (as you, gentle reader, are no doubt aware), that some technological quirk in Blogger has rendered parts of some posts in very tiny script.  Grrrr.  Fortunately I know just enough about HTML to go back and fix those errors (I found them in about a dozen posts over the last few months).  Hopefully I got them all.  At any rate, I guess I better preview future posts before hitting "Publish."

. . . previewing this post and finding a whole paragraph rendered in that dang tiny script.  Apparently Blogger no likey when I past text into a post from Word.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . sharing a short but inspiring video about Christ's birth with the Primary kids today.   My favorite part was when the Savior hugged someone who obviously needed comfort.  It reminded me that Christ loves me immensely despite my flaws, and He loves everyone enough to help and encourage them when they need it.  May I remember and follow His example more.

And another thing . . .

. . . This afternoon I sat in the back of the Primary room reflecting on potential goals for the coming year. I’m considering a goal to set and stick to a budget, and setting twelve preparedness goals (one for each month, such as “conduct a family emergency drill” and “identify local ham repeaters we can use”), but those seem very temporal, and removed from my character and personal relationships which are so much more important. I've been wondering what concrete goal I might set in that area of my life, and there in the Primary room the answer suddenly came to me: I need to set the goal to get enough sleep.

The idea was perfect, yet somehow terrifying at the same time.  Consistently getting to sleep by midnight would help immensely with my effort to be more patient, kind, spiritually sensitive, and generally happy, yet I know from experience that it would be very challenging for me, and easy to fall off the wagon even if I do manage to climb aboard.  Still, it makes sense and feels like the right direction to go.  I have two weeks to practice before the new year begins—wish me luck.

No comments: