Monday, November 12, 2012

Rolls and a Hatchet

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . Anna somehow hurting her hand this afternoon.  She cried off and on for a very long time, and at first I thought it was seriously injured, but I'm grateful to say that by the end of the day she seemed fine. 

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . Joy actually sampling my chicken at dinnertime, then deciding to eat two servings of it.

. . . husband hugs.

. . . chatting with neighbors.

. . . Joy helping me out and telling me I'm her buddy.  I hugged her and said she's mine, too.

. . . mixing up some roll dough to chill overnight.  It's hard to say why I love trying new recipes so much, but it really is a fun adventure for me.  And since it's autumn and I need to heat my house anyway, I might as well fire up the oven, right?


And another thing . . .

. . . to my knowledge, my youngest brother has only voluntarily read one book in his entire life.  It was The Hatchet.  When I saw it on a library shelf earlier this week, I decided to check it out and see what had captivated him so much.  It was a quick read, and I finished it tonight.  It was interesting to see what Brian did to survive, and his behavior (setting small goals, enjoying the beauty around him, not focusing on being rescued, etc.) reminded me of Deep Survival, an intriguing non-fiction book about how people survive (regardless of training or lack thereof).  I wonder how I'd manage, alone in the wilderness with just a hatchet.  Kinda makes me want to go out and buy a little flint and steel for my purse (as if that bag needs anything else to weigh it down).

No comments: