Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bear Ball and 21st Century Shopping

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . playing ball with Joy. Or rather, with her Beanie Baby bear. I would roll the ball in their general direction, and the bear (with help from Joy) would pounce on it and shove it back toward me. Both humans got a kick out of the game; the bear didn't seem to have a strong opinion either way.

And another thing . . .

. . . Alas, like so many other Borders stores, our local Borders is closing, probably because of the weak economy and competition from online booksellers like Amazon. I regret that they’re closing shop because I love being able to peruse a bookstore and flip through the pages of books as I consider which to buy. On the other hand, I have partially contributed to their demise because I often buy from Amazon or check things out from the library to save money. It can be hard to put your money where your heart is.

On the other hand, I feel no regrets at all that video rental stores are closing. In addition to the familiar films I knew and loved, our local Blockbuster carried a plethora of horror and smut I'd never heard of. It seemed to glare at you from every side, and I hated walking past it all when I went to check something out. Long live Netflix, where I can search by category and title, and bypass any junk.

No comments: