Thursday, March 24, 2011

Clutter and Powdered Milk

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . one of those rather crushing moments when I realize I will probably live amidst clutter for the rest of my life, because my puny, piecemeal efforts to tidy up are no match for the sheer quantity of stuff cramming every surface of my home. I might be able to sift and sort through it all if my family went on vacation without me for a week, but that ain't gonna happen, and even if it did I know we would start reacquiring clutter again immediately. [bury face in hands and moan]

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . savoring the smell of zucchini bread baking.

. . . attending a Shelf Reliance party at a friend's home. I actually enjoyed sampling a bunch of their freeze-dried fruits and veggies, just-add-water-then-bake brownies and macaroons, and instant milk. The freeze-dried broccoli was really tasty straight out of the bin, and I like the idea of using freeze-dried meat that tastes normal instead of the canned version that tastes like tuna, but the real star of the show for me was the milk. I've tried powdered milk, ultrapasteurized milk in a shelf-stable box, you name it, and they all taste weird. SR's instant milk tasted just like regular skim milk. If I did a blind taste test between it and skim milk from the local grocery store, I wouldn't know the difference. I definitely plan to invest in some of that, and a few other things, too.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Ed coined the term "yastc"pronounced yaz-tic, meaning yet another surface to clutter. Yep--that's my life. No surface can be blank for long. It makes me question Victorian clutter. Did they just cover surfaces with assorted knicknacks to keep them from becoming filled with thirteen different colors of penwipers?

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I have knickknacks on many surfaces of my home, and those surfaces still get cluttered. Maybe I need more knickknacks.