Monday, March 14, 2011

Temples and a Postscript

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . seeing my husband smile.

. . . a wonderful Relief Society lesson. The teacher asked what words or phrases come to mind when we think of the temple, then cited the scripture that our bodies are temples (1 Cor 6:19), and therefore many of those phrases apply to our bodies. One thought that particularly struck me is that temples throughout the world look very different, yet they all have a stately beauty because of what they represent. Similarly, people look very different, yet we are all children of God made in His image, and therefore have something of divine majesty about us.

And another thing . . .

. . . this morning a reader emailed me a comment about yesterday's (Gay) Mormon Guy post. They expressed concern that perhaps it isn't such an admirable thing when a man dates and desires to marry a girl when he feels no attraction for her. That concern made me realize I should have been more clear in my summary of (G)MG's blog.

The blogger I mentioned yesterday sincerely yearns for a happy, loving, heterosexual marriage and family. He realizes it would be doctrinally and morally wrong to marry unless he is seriously attracted to a woman, and she is aware of his struggle and chooses to marry him in spite of it. He also realizes it would take a literal miracle for him to find such a woman AND be attracted to her, but he believes that such miracles can and do happen, and that part of exercising his faith and hope is to date in search of such a relationship.

He knows the chance of success is infinitesimal each time he asks a girl out, and he doesn't take that lightly. In fact, he goes out of his way to be gentle with girls' feelings when things don't work out. Frankly, I think he's much more conscious and careful of girls' feelings than many straight guys who are dating to find a mate. In both cases it never will work out until they find the right one, but some guys are much less considerate when they decide it's time to move on. (G)MG's deep consideration for others and the fact that he has the faith and will to keep trying against such long odds are two of the things I admire most about him.

2 comments:

SupaFlowaPowa said...

I like your clarification on the Gay Mormon Guy's blog. Ran across it a while ago but remembered having questions, thinking a lot about it because I have so many gay friends (and am always nervous at their reaction when they find out I'm Mormon now if I knew 'em before or if I just met 'em) and in reality, some do say it's a choice that they have and maybe will get married to a girl in the future, others say they have no attraction to girls, and it's all just so interesting to me. Anyway, thanks for the post!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

That's interesting that some of your gay friends say it's a choice and consider heterosexual marriage a possible option in the future. Nearly every opinion I hear is "I was born this way so I'm going to live this way; end of story," but I've only discussed the matter in person with three gay people in my life (two former Mormons, one non-member).

It would be interesting to hear input from more people who experience same-gender attraction, and see how their opinions differ (or don't).