Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy In A Borrowed Garden

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . several straight hours, actually. A friend had the kids over to play all morning, and I spent every free minute gardening. Another friend with a yard lets me use part of their garden plot, and today I finally planted potatoes and seeds for chard, carrots, onions, lettuce and peas. I often say I'm more tenacious than talented when it comes to gardening--some plants thrive while others struggle, and I don't know how I'll find time to keep ahead of the weeds, but for some reason I just can't resist. I love seeing the plants grow and change week to week, and it's fun to become more familiar with their shapes, habits, and quirks. Oh yeah, and it's fun to eat what I grow (at least when it turns out well--I have rotten luck with melons). Joy particularly likes eating home grown carrots.

. . . noticing a little nasturtium coming up by the garden fence, a child of one of the nasturtiums I sowed last year. I like nasturtiums--they remind me of my mother, because they remind her of her mother--and I love seeing the seedlings of last season's parent plants. I enjoy watching the cycle of life play out.

. . . seeing a red variety of Spanish Lavender in full, prolific bloom while the kids and I were out for a walk.

. . . finding my lost sock in our building's laundry room. I had really missed that sock.

No comments: