Saturday, January 21, 2012

Books and Shoes

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . hearing some good talks at the adult session of stake conference tonight.

. . . getting home from stake conference this evening to find Joy reading a story to her attentive babysitter.

. . . trying the Peppermint Ice Cream I made yesterday and discovering that after 24 hours in the freezer it is actually scoopable, and actually good. It's a slight variation on Aunt Connie's recipe: 1.5 cups heavy cream, 1.5 cups milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp peppermint extract. Oh yeah, and some red food coloring and crushed candy canes (I was in the mood to try something belatedly festive). I think next time I'll stir in some crushed Oreos at the very end instead of the candy, 'cuz I love me some mint cookie ice cream. So good, and so good for you. ;)

And another thing . . .

. . . if your child takes something into the store with them, assume it will be left behind.

. . . today my daughter had her first experience buying shoes that were super cute, but not very comfortable. You'll encounter a lot of those in your lifetime, sweetie, so always keep the receipt.

. . . my favorite Christmas gift Joy received this year was her Pixar Storybook, because I love seeing my daughter eager to read day after day. My second favorite gift she got is some cash from my grandparents, because whenever she asks for treats at a store I can tell her she's free to buy them with her own money. That usually ends the conversation because her money is always at home in her purse, and by the time she gets home she's forgotten whatever fleeting fancy prompted her request.

No comments: