Saturday, January 21, 2012

Future Grandma's Accidental Sherbet

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . coloring with Daniel.

. . . making thumbprint art with Joy.

. . . playing catch as a family.

And another thing . . .

. . . this evening as I sat holding Anna and keeping Joy company, I reflected that my life will probably be simpler in a few years when it no longer revolves around nursing, naps, and babies who want to be held most of the afternoon. Then I glanced down at Anna kicking her little feet and waving her little hands, and I realized that there some parts of this sweet stage that I will really miss when they are gone. I'm sure that's why grandparents love grandchildren so much: they get to enjoy all the cuteness and fun of children without the long hours and the burden of imposing discipline. It's nice to know that after the era of cuddly babies is done forever in our home, there will someday be more cuddle-bugs to snuggle in our family.

. . . call me crazy, but I'm still tinkering with my ice cream maker, even in the middle of winter. Tonight I tried a Peppermint Ice Cream recipe; we'll see how it turns out. Ironically, my best flavor yet was actually an accident. I had some too-sweet, too-sour Watermelon Lemonade Sorbet and some blandish Blackberry Frozen Yogurt in my freezer, and since I couldn't bear to eat either on its own I softened them, mixed them together in the food processor, then refroze the result. It was surprisingly good--kind of a berry lemonade sherbet. I may actually try replicating it.

No comments: