Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Mime Cure

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  having to cancel a Mother's Day dinner with my mom for the second time because of this illness.  I hoped I could make things work if I just kept quiet and let her do the talking so I wouldn't cough, but then I realized: what is the point of going to dinner with your mom if you can't gab with her?!?  Sigh--at this rate, we may celebrate Father's Day before Mother's Day.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . sharing leftover Iranian chicken soup with Anna.  I think I need to request that recipe. 

And another thing . . .

. . . I've discovered that the best thing for my cough (in addition to Robitussin and lots of water) is not talking.  I spent most of the morning using gestures and facial expressions to communicate with my kids, with a one- or two-word sentence thrown in here and there.  It helped a lot.  My airways hurt less and I rarely coughed.

Of course, things got more complicated once I drove Joy to school.  The kids couldn't see me as well from the back seat so I had to talk more, and when we got home Daniel (who'd had Joy to chat with all morning) wasn't a huge fan of having no one to interact with but his mother the mime.


No comments: