Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chemistry, X-rays, and Sweets

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . Daniel crying because he wants to open the car door all on his own, but he isn't quite strong enough. There's one little spot where I usually help him, but by golly, he didn't want help this afternoon.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . listening to my husband playing boisterous games with our giggling kids while I cooked dinner.

. . . going to Menchie's as a reward for filling up our Sweet Jar. I enjoyed my decadent dessert, but I’m not sure the Sweet Jar really accomplished what I hoped it would. I wanted it to encourage our family to be kinder, and help us all recognize the positive things the others do. However, I feel like most of the pom poms were put in by me, in recognition of things people would have done anyway.

And another thing . . .

. . . I took Daniel in to have his thumb x-rayed today (doctor's orders, just in case). Since I'm pregnant, they had me wait in the next room while they took the x-rays. Daniel took that in stride, and I was impressed that he didn’t mind some stranger holding his hand under a weird machine while his mother left the room.

. . . pancakes were on the menu tonight (I try to make something easy and kid-friendly on home evening night), and I usually make them using a homemade multigrain mix I keep in the fridge. I only had half the amount I needed, though, so I made up the difference with white flour, some baking powder, and hope. The result was OK, but the texture was a little gummy—yet another reminder that baking is equal parts art and chemistry.

No comments: