Monday, June 6, 2011

Sea Dragons and Freaky Crabs

Sorry I slacked off this weekend. Here are the highlights (and lowlights) of the past few days:

This weekend's not-so-favorite moments included . . .


. . . closing my son's finger in the front door. I felt bad; he felt worse.

. . . nearly jumping out of my skin when I startled some creature in the bushes. I was just sure something with fangs and talons was going to burst out of the foliage and take a piece out of my leg. It turned out just to be a young mourning dove.

This weekend's favorite moments included . . .


. . . finally finding a cheesecake recipe Phillip and I both like.

. . . meeting some friends at the Long Beach Aquarium. Daniel loved chasing the pigeons, Joy liked petting the bamboo sharks, and I thought the leafy sea dragon was pretty cool. The giant spider crabs are still among the freakiest things I've ever seen.

. . . watching Phillip play hide and seek with the kids. I tend to be rather unimaginative in my hiding spots, but Phillip really gets into the game. He loves to hide in one half of our apartment, then while the kids are searching for him he somehow sneaks past them to the half they've already checked.

. . . going on a popcorn picnic with my family. We popped a bunch of popcorn, then spread out a blanket at a nearby park and munched while we watched the trains come and go.

. . . hugging my husband.

And another thing . . .

. . . an elderly woman from church is in a coma, and unlikely to wake up. I went to see her last night, mainly because I knew the visit would lift her dear husband's spirits. And who knows? Though her body wasn't conscious, her spirit might have been aware that I'd come to wish her well on her journey home.

No comments: