Monday, March 26, 2012

Reckless Abandon is Overrated

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . Joy giving me a big hug when I was feeling really down this morning.

. . . Anna eating like a champ during Sunday school. I officially love those baby food pouches that can squirt onto a detachable spoon.

And another thing . . .

. . . For me, “living with reckless abandon” involves staying up until 4:30am reading a book. And as in most cases, such living sounds energizing and liberating in principle, but in reality it becomes less satisfying the more hours you keep at it, and you end up deeply regretting it the next day. I woke up three hours later devoid of any cheer or energy, with the mental reserves of a gnat to cope with the petty quarrellings of my children over who got to turn on their bedroom light switch or press a certain key on the keyboard. It was one of those days when I wished life had a Restart button so I could just skip ahead to tomorrow. I’ve resolved not to read at night anymore unless Phillip is still awake. When he gets ready for bed, the reading session is over.

3 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Okay . . . okay . . . you stayed up to late, granted, but what on earth were you reading that compelled you to do it in the first place? Do share.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

In this case, the book was Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. It was an interesting story, fairly well told, but I can get equally absorbed in virtually any novel. I'm a sucker for a story. It's one of the reasons I majored in history.

It's also the reason I don't own a TV. I've wasted hours of my life getting sucked into whatever anyone turns on, however inane it may be.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

P.S. It's nice to know you still drop by my blog now and then. I know you're super busy these days.