Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shivers, Yawns, and High School

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . Anna waking up several times last night.

. . . wishing I had brought a coat when I helped at Joy's preschool, because it was an unusually cold day and even the classroom was chilly.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . reading STM's recent post about her high school principal who inspired his students with his passion for learning and his love for them individually. The post got me thinking about my own high school experience. The administrators loved to tell us we were the “best” high school, but I think it was because they wanted to administer the best school, not because we had done much to earn that praise or because they respected us as students. I certainly never felt like they loved us. By contrast, I had an economics teacher at that school who genuinely respected and liked his students. He expected a lot of us because he believed we were up to the challenge and it would have been a disservice to go easy on us. I hated economics, but I loved that teacher.

. . . finding out that a friend successfully defended his dissertation this morning. For a PhD student, that almost as big a deal as getting married.

No comments: