Saturday, April 27, 2013

Cheerios, Tough Krispies, and Quinoa Salad


Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  trying to find a BBQ sauce that doesn't list high fructose corn syrup as one of its main ingredients.  Thank goodness for Trader Joe's.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . actually feeling energetic today.

. . . getting my hair cut by a friend from church.  It's nice to have my hair a good length again, and she curled it in a fetching way (I may need to ask her to teach me that magic trick), but my favorite part was just chatting with a cheerful friend.  She's the type of person who could make talking about the weather feel like a treat.

. . . making BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad for dinner.  I love that stuff.

. . . a fun date night with Phillip.

And another thing . . .

. . . I always thought "morning sickness" was a misnomer, since I feel slightly queasy all day long.  However, this pregnancy it really does feel the worst when I get up in the morning.  Fortunately, a handful of Cheerios usually helps settle my stomach.

. . . tonight I made Rice Krispy Treats for the very first time in my life.  By the time I started cooking in college, I had eaten so many rock-hard Krispy Treats from various sources that I was afraid to even attempt them.  The rare soft, gooey Treat is so good, though, and Phillip loves them, so we decided to try our hand at making some tonight.  We found two recipes--one that calls for equal parts marshmallows and Krispies, and another that calls for two parts mallows and three parts Krispies.  We tried the equal parts version, and alas, produced hard Krispy Treats.

Of course, that didn't prevent us from eating a bunch of them, and it was probably good for us to burn so many calories chiseling all those empty carbs out of the pan, but I'd still prefer the pliable version.   I guess we'll just have to try the other recipe (very) soon.

No comments: