Saturday, April 20, 2013

Wind in My Hair and Uhura Again

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  preparing pancakes and discovering that we had no buttermilk.  Buttermilkless pancakes are just never as good.

. . . shepherding the kids from the playground to the car.  The phrases "pulling teeth," "herding cats," and "molasses in January" all came to mind.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . feeling the wind in my hair as the kids and I played at the park.

. . . baking good bread.

. . . finally making a few more posts for the family blog.  I seem to manage about one binge-posting session a month, and I save the posts as drafts to be published every few days or so.  It's a decent system, but I need to make the binges either bigger or more frequent because I'm still not through November.

And another thing . . .

. . . call me geeky (we already knew that anyway), but I keep thinking about Uhura in the 2009 Star Trek film.  I love the fact that she balances strength with tenderness and compassion, and that she's the most attractive, captivating woman in the movie but she has high standards she won't compromise. 

According to Wikipedia, a 2012 poll in SFX Magazine named Uhura (as portrayed in the 2009 film) the sexiest female character in science fiction and fantasy, yet she wears modest clothes (OK, the skirt could be longer, but stay with me), she never makes out with anyone, and she shoots down each of Kirk's attempts to pick up on her.  She won't even tell him her first name.

Many women think they're most attractive when they leave the least to the imagination, but I think most men are more intrigued by a woman they can respect, who has a hint of mystery about her (think Jacqueline Kennedy).  We tend to value things that aren't easily won.

No comments: