Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Checkers and the Moon

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  trying to persuade Joy to attend the sleepover she planned with Red Grandma.  Most kids like things that are familiar and predictable, and Joy is no exception.  She tends to be excited about sleepovers with her grandmas until she is faced with the prospect of actually sleeping away from home.  We talked her through it this time, and she seemed OK when I left, but I hope things go well tonight.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . standing outside with my husband, gazing up at the full moon as it illuminated the quiet, peaceful night.

And another thing . . .

. . . Daniel likes to play checkers these days, and since it's no fun to get beaten all the time I try to let him win every second or third time we play.  I've noticed that it takes more mental effort to lose to a preschooler than it does to beat him, especially if I want to do it in a way that isn't obvious.  If I make a particularly glaring "mistake," he'll often ask if I want him to jump my piece.

No comments: