Sunday, August 18, 2013

Hugs and Cayennes

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . getting stuff done.

. . . a happy reunion with my kids when they got home this afternoon.

And another thing . . .

. . . I saw another Porsche Cayenne driving down the street today.  It still kind of amuses me that Porsche has begun making SUVs.  It would be like Tiffany's announcing that they're going to start selling fridges.

From what I can tell, a Porsche Boxster is 10% utility (it has four wheels, a motor, and seats) and 90% status symbol (it goes faster than most humans will ever need to, and most people who see it think, "Wow - that person is driving a cool sports car").  Porsche Cayennes, on the other hand, strike me as 10% status symbol (they are nicely streamlined, and have a Porsche logo on them) and 90% utility (most people who see them think "There goes a family on their way to the grocery store or soccer practice").

I don't get why someone would spring for a Cayenne when they could get a reliable, perfectly serviceable Honda Pilot for half the price (or less).  Is that little Porsche symbol on the hood that important to them, or do they find the Porsche driving experience so much more enjoyable that they're willing to pay double for it?  If the latter, I'm kind of glad I don't know what I'm missing.

No comments: