Sunday, August 4, 2013

Violets, Birthdays, and Prune Cookies

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . trying another recipe for "healthy" cookies today.  You know the type--the ones with a banana, oats, some applesauce, and NO OIL, FLOUR, EGGS, OR ADDED SUGAR!!  I should know better by now.  They're always disappointing, probably because there are certain flavors and textures I associate with cookies, and the "healthy" versions never have them.  Today's version is what a chocolate chip cookie would be like if two of its grandparents were morning glory muffins, and a third was a prune.  I have no issue with any of those things on its own, but I don't think they were meant to go together.

I need to just accept that cookies weren't meant to be health food.  You can make them healthi-ER by adding some oats or wheat flour, and maybe using some coconut oil, but they're meant to be an indulgent treat thoroughly enjoyed in moderation.  They're not supposed to be your whole lunch.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . Phillip doing the vacuuming for me while I made a grocery run.  Bless that man.

. . . seeing my grandma's face light up when I gave her an African violet for her birthday.

. . . hugging lots of extended family who had gathered to celebrate my grandparents' birthdays.  It was sweet to catch up, and to savor the bonds that make us feel close even though we live far away.

No comments: