Monday, August 26, 2013

Hondas, Passion Flowers, and the Big Bump

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  reaching the stage of pregnancy where it's hard to roll over in my sleep.  My body just stays in one position until some part gets sore enough to wake me up, then I switch to some other position for the rest of the night.  I suppose it's good practice, since I'll be waking up at least once a night for months after Baby Boy arrives.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . composing family blog posts for all of June today.  It helped that we didn't take many pictures that month, so there were only four posts.

. . . seeing purple passion flowers with my family while we were out for a walk this evening.  Phillip commented that the elaborate flower almost didn't look real.  If he thought that one was unbelievable, he should try smelling another variety that smells like grape bubblegum.  I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't smelled it myself in a friend's yard years ago.

And another thing . . .

. . . ever since Daniel noticed that Chevrolets have a "plus sign" (Chevy logo) on them, he's been interested in the various car logos and their names.  This week he began playing a game where he counts one logo on one hand and another logo on the other as we pass cars on the road, and whichever hand gets five fingers up first wins.  Most often he pits Chevys against Hondas, and in our town Hondas usually win by a mile.  Look out, though, Honda--Daniel learned the symbol for Toyota today, and it could give you a run for your money.

. . . in the last two weeks, I've had at least half a dozen people comment about how small my tummy is for someone in their third trimester.  While that response is certainly better than the alternative, I tend to feel more bewildered than flattered.  When I see my stomach in the mirror, I think, "Good heavens!  It doesn't look like I could get any bigger, and I've got over two months to go!"  It baffles me that people think my tummy looks tiny (even by comparison to other baby bumps) when it looks so huge to me.  Phillip agrees with me, and though some people have joked that he would be more supportive by siding with them and saying I look svelte as a supermodel, I'm actually grateful that he shares my opinion so I don't feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

No comments: