Saturday, August 3, 2013

Craft Rejection and a Non-Green Smoothie

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . .  getting everything planned, purchased, and ready for Joy and me to make some cute, easy thumbprint garden shirts, only to have her inform me that she didn't like that idea and she wanted to paint something different.  I did my best to support her individuality and creativity, but I confess it was hard not to feel a little bit peeved.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . saying a bedtime prayer with Anna as I held her in my arms.

. . . actually finding some good new shoes for Daniel at the very first place we tried.  They don't even have a cartoon character on them.

. . . making a tasty smoothie that even Joy was willing to drink.  It's a simple recipe Phillip came up with, and it's become my go-to non-green smoothie recipe: put 1 & 1/2 c apple juice and 1 c OJ in a blender, then add equal parts frozen strawberries and frozen mango, plus a little frozen pineapple (just enough total fruit so the smoothie is thick but still blends; add more AJ if you need to thin it a bit).  I like the 2 Parts OJ, 3 Parts AJ base, because those juices are fairly cheap and don't have added sugar, but if you use all one or the other the flavor stands out too much.

And another thing . . .

. . . it's interesting how daily living provides ample opportunities to teach my kids about finances and such.  I would have thought that I'd have to sit them down in their late teens and try to explain how rent and mortgages work while their eyes gradually glazed over, but today alone I've found myself talking with my six-year-old daughter about those very subjects as we walked to our manager's home to pay rent, or as we talked about what's involved in (hopefully) buying a home someday.

No comments: