Sunday, May 18, 2008

Funny How Blessings Follow Adject Terror

I think it interesting that the church assignments which have blessed me most are typically the ones I have most dreaded. When I was invited to serve in Primary and later Young Women, I felt completely out of my element but I trusted the Lord enough to say accept the assignments, and I ended up loving them.

Consistent with that pattern, when I was asked to teach a lesson at this weekend’s stake Relief Society celebration, I felt totally unequal to the task but I said "yes" and trusted in God. I wound up learning so much from the women I worked with, and my faith grew as I saw once again that when you put your hand in God's he never lets you fall. His blessings to me always far outweigh my humble contributions to His work.

7 comments:

Serena said...

I also think it's funny, that every time I have a child enter nursery, I am called to nursery, and when the are entering primary I am called to primary. When Christopher started boy scouts Alex was called to do that. Christopher will be in young mens next year, and if he is here Alex will probably be called to young men. Lol.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I guess the Lord thinks I need to stay a couple steps ahead of Joy. He called me to teach Sunbeams a year before she was born, and now that she's nursery age I'm in Young Women. Around the time she enters Primary I'll probably be transfered to Relief Society. :)

Cathy said...

Abject terror. I can't stop proofreading.

I feel like I'm on the same page with you in some of the things that cause such knee-knocking feelings. I was just called as the second counselor in Young Women's. How will I ever relate to them? I spent all of my high school years befriending my teachers because I didn't like talking with most people of that age.

The young people of Guatemala were fantastic. I'm trying to remember them and calm my fears.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Thank you, English Major friend. I wish the subject line had spell check.

As for the calling, just love them and pray for lots of help and you'll be fine. I had the very same concern when I was called, and I find I get along with youth better as a leader than I ever did as a teenager.

I think it's partly because the focus is on what I can give rather than what I will get out of the relationships.

Anonymous said...

You know, in a similar vein, I often find that things I believe will fulfill me the most, also scare me the most. I am unsure of why this is. I do know though, that like you, if I can just make that leap of faith and go towards it, despite the fear, the fulfillment comes on its own.

Just a thought to let you know you're not alone. :]

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

It's good to be reminded. :)

Carpe diem!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Blogger's spell checker is so weird. How can it recognize "diem" but not "carpe"?