Monday, May 19, 2008

A Lesson From Kip: Forget Camouflage

Aaron Ruell, the actor who played Kip in Napoleon Dynamite, spoke in our ward today. I always assumed I would see a celebrity around LA sooner or later; I just expected to see them near the ubiquitous film crews rather than at church.

Brother Ruell is a fairly successful director, and it was interesting to hear him talk about sharing his beliefs with people in show business. He said people often have misconceptions about what he can or can't do as a Latter-day Saint, or what might mortally offend him. He enjoys the chance to clarify things, and share the principles that have made him so happy in life. I sometimes hesitate to discuss religion with people for fear of how they might stereotype me, but he seems to welcome any opportunity to talk about the religion he loves.

His advice to discard the camouflage and be cheerfully open about our beliefs made me wonder what I'm so scared of when it comes to discussing religion with people I barely know. Truthfully, it seems I'd have nothing to lose and much to gain from being straightforward. If a stranger misjudges me, it's their loss and I'll probably never see them again. On the other hand, if I can share something that makes their life a little (or a lot) better, we'll both be happier for it.

1 comment:

Serena said...

How cool. We love the movie. The kids and Alex and his brothers quote that movie so much, that I think I have it memorized. Lol. I think we all get scared at times. Especially the way the world gets as time goes by. I have had mothers and moms club just stare at me at times, and just don't quite get me, that I can't do certain things. My favorite is when they go blank on the phone.