Saturday, May 31, 2008

The End of Six Words, and Possibly This Blog

Well, I've been writing at least six words nearly every day for over a month now, and I'm still not sure what I want this blog to be. Many of those daily posts have come and gone without comments, which leads me to wonder whether I am posting more often than most readers can keep up with. Or perhaps the commentless posts were just the blogging equivalent of peanut butter sandwiches--unremarkable, and therefore forgotten as soon as you finish consuming them.

These questions have been lurking in the back of my mind for some time now, but they stood up and demanded my attention this evening when I read STM's account of her recent trip to D.C. Many things she said moved me or got me thinking, and I felt like a better, smarter, happier person for having read them. I'd like my own blog to serve at least one of those purposes for people. If it doesn't, then frankly it is a waste of my time and yours. I have my journal as an outlet and our family blog to let you know what we're up to these days, so unless this blog plays some unique and meaningful role there is no reason to continue it.

On the other hand, if some aspect of this blog has enriched or entertained you, please let me know what it is. If there's something you'd like to see more of (e.g. recipes, thoughts on mothering, my ongoing quest for happiness and serenity, posts about ice cream), let me know that, too. There are many facets of my life that I am happy to write about, but I'd prefer to share the ones you actually enjoy reading.

So there you have it. I'm going to stop posting for a few days so you all have a chance to read this and share your input, then I'll review your comments and act accordingly.

Oh, and all you lurkers who the sitemeter says continually visit this blog but apparently choose not to comment, please consider this a formal invitation to at least share the reason why you keep coming back. If you don't have a Blogger account but you want to add your two cents, you can click the word "comments" at the bottom of the post, then click the little circle next to "Name/URL" and just type in your name which will appear with the comment you leave. After you do that, you are more than welcome to go back to lurking.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Kim, I enjoy reading this blog. It's fun to see your insights into things. I'll admit that my favorite ones are the ones about being a mom, because I can relate. I also enjoy the spiritual thoughts. You are better at getting your thoughts out there than most, so I would be sad if you stopped writing here. Then again, you could also kind of merge both blogs into one. I've kind of used mine for that. So, just know that I read it and enjoy it :)

Nate said...

Kimberly,

Don't worry too much about the comments (or lack thereof). We read this to check in on what's happening, and to feel connected.

I think writing in a blog is a good way to basically say whatever you want to say, whenever you want to say it. It's a good way to keep tabs on your thoughts. Some people try to create something that hundreds or thousands or millions of people read. That's a huge undertaking. But I do think it's nice to have a little corner of the online world where you can do whatever you want. Write three entries one day, and then none for a week? Sure, why not. I've run a blog since 2003, and it has changed as my life has changed. For a while there it was read by people all over the world, as I tried to make a daily commentary on Hong Kong affairs. But, over time, that's changed. I write whatever I feel like writing, and consequently have low readership expectations. Virtually no one ever comments, despite still having visits from really random places. I think that's OK.

Just write what you feel like writing, and people will stop by and check in with you from time to time. No sweat!

Caitlin said...

I like posts on mothering, gardening, spiritual insights, cooking, struggles, etc. So pretty much every post. I just don't have the time to comment as much as I would like, so please don't interpret that as disinterest.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Nope, nope, nope. You can't quit.

How's that for six words? I love your six words idea. I haven't commented as often lately because I have had to scale back my blog-time or give up all other hobbies. (The newspapers are a major time and energy drain.)

I started blogging as a journal, but then I realized that my readers were too far spread (and often coming from unexpected places) for me to always be entirely blunt about my feelings. So "Nomad" has been a really great way for me to ruminate before I just write. (My journals, when I've kept them, are almost a no-filter situation.) At first I wondered if this made me less than authentic, but what it has actually taught me a lot about is thinking BEFORE I speak, write, communicate, etc. When I see a funny or frustrating situation, I think in my head "How can I frame this as a post?" If I can't do it without being offensive or annoying, then maybe I just need to shut up. Or call my sister. Or talk to Plantboy under the covers.

Also, I've always been better on paper than in person (I'm sure I come across loud, talkative and agressive in too many social situations), so this on-line community is really great for me. I'm just grateful to know that I'm not alone, particularly because we've moved so much.

So, in typical STM fashion, I've turned a post that was meant to be about you and your (very) many virtues and made it about me. Sorry about that. But I do love this blog and would dearly miss it. I've debated on posting a top five, but I am quite sure I'd offend somebody. Anyway, yours would be there.

Desmama said...

I like the peaceful serenity of your blog. It's like a quiet corner where I can find interesting reflections and I'm finding more and more these days, I need those. You are, as far as I've read, very positive without being insincere, and I also appreciate that. So there you have it.

I don't usually comment because the post usually causes some reflection, so I suppose I ought to come back at a later hour and post my thoughts, but usually I don't. But I do think about your posts.

Phillip said...

Kimberly,

If you want this blog to be a place that people feel better, smarter, or happier for having read it, my personal opinion would be that you should go back to posting longer posts on a less-than-daily frequency. The longer posts, at least for me, give me something more to think about than the daily posts have, though you also know that I very rarely leave a comment on the blog (if I have a comment, I usually give it to you in person).

I will also say that if you want lots and lots of people to read your blog and comment on it, you've got your work cut out for you - that's why sensationalism runs so rampant in today's media, whether it be news, magazines, etc. I've encountered blogs that had many many people reading them, and found them to be either uninteresting or, in some cases, annoying, so I stop reading.

Those are my 2, or perhaps a few more than 2, cents.

Anonymous said...

Your so funny. We love your post. We just checked our poll again and to this day we have had 30,000 people look at our blog. You are the only one who has commented. Lol. I talk &(phone) to family and friends about the blog. That's why they don't leave comments. Everyone else can kiss a cookie. Our blog is mostly to keep family and friends updated on pics and what we are doing since my family and friends are spread out all over the U.S and Costa Rica. I don't spend that much time on the computer, so, I take longer to comment, but if you go back on all your entries I do leave comments even from months ago. You don't leave to many either. With Philips suggestion, the only problem with long entries is that some of us may not have time to read it all and comment in time. Don't change a thing.

Serena said...

What's up with that? I am not anynomous. Weird. It's me Serena.

Serena said...

The one sentence ( You don't leave to many either) Is supposed to refer to you posts. You can post a million and we would read them all.

Nicole Shelby said...

kim...

i thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. i find it insightful and thought-provoking. i do not always comment...not because i don't enjoy the content...but because sometimes i just want to think and enjoy and do not have a response. and i don't usually want to respond just to...

i don't always keep up...life's ebbs and flows don't always allow on-top-itiveness. but, i always go back and read what i missed.

don't quit. keep it up.

i find you funny and interesting and thoughtful and happy...and i would miss your views of the world if you were to withhold them...