Thursday, May 8, 2008

In Touch With My Inner Child

As if Chuck E. Cheese wasn't enough playtime for one week, today Joy and I went to Disneyland with some friends from church. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed our trip to The Magic Kingdom. For several years I have felt a certain antipathy toward it, mainly because I dislike the notion that you have to pay an arm and a leg to take your family to “The Happiest Place on Earth” (Grandma Sorenson says that title rightfully belongs to the temple--amen, Grandma).

Nevertheless, after spending several hours immersed in the fanciful sights, sounds, and smells of Disneyland, I discovered that I really did feel happy and I wanted to come back. Perhaps it helped that I was seeing it all from the perspective of a child—my own daughter, as well as the dozens of little girls wearing Princess ball gowns (and one girl in a Buzz Lightyear costume--rock on, girlfriend) who were obviously having the time of their lives.

Speaking of children, this evening I got to talking with some other moms about some of the sweet experiences of motherhood (when we're not changing diapers and wishing there were five more hours in the day). It occurred to me that I have achieved some fine things in my life, but somehow I feel even greater happiness watching my daughter reach her little milestones. I think we take more delight in the success of loved ones than we feel for our own achievements, especially when those loved ones are innocent children whose lives are so intimately tied to ours.

2 comments:

Serena said...

Yes! It just takes you away from the ordinary way of life, and let's you feel anew. Sometimes we get into the same routine and forget there are other places that can lift our spirits in different ways.

Jodi Jean said...

amen sista!! it's amazing watching the world from a fresh perspective i learn new things every day along side my lil man!