Monday, February 7, 2011

Goodbye, Taste

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . you don't want to know.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . kissing Daniel's dough-boy cheeks.

. . . watching a Conference session this morning. The sick kids and I stayed home from church for the second week in a row, and as I was wondering how to invite the spirit of the Sabbath whilst spending yet another day home in pajamas, Phillip suggested I stream a session. It was a perfect way to uplift us and give me some inspiring things to reflect on.

And another thing . . .

. . . I am very happy to announce that we are expecting our third baby (due in early September), but I'm not so thrilled about a minor side effect resulting therefrom. No, not the weight gain or frequent bathroom breaks or pinched sciatic nerve. I'm talking about the fact that my sense of taste changes, and I can't tell whether a recipe genuinely tastes lousy, or if it's just that I'm pregnant. For someone who loves food and cooking as much as I do, that change really sucks some of the joy out of life. It's like an artist suddenly seeing the world in shades of grey, burnt orange, and split-pea green for nine months. Baby, you're worth it, but I'm sure glad the condition is temporary.

4 comments:

SupaFlowaPowa said...

Kimberly - congratulations!!!!! Woo hoo - it's so exciting to hear all the baby news as it comes - I just found out one of my girlfriends is expecting in August - I am soooo excited! Two in one day! WOO HOO!!!!! So... truth be told, do you want a girl or a boy? You already have both - so makes me wonder HEHEHE

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I sincerely don't have a preference, possibly because neither of my children ended up relating to me the way I assumed they would based on their gender. Mainly, I am curious to see how Joy would interact with a sister, or Daniel with a brother.

Cathy said...

I'm sorry about your sense of taste disappearing but happy about the reason.

Wait until you're well before you totally resign yourself to the loss of taste. Each pregnancy's different, and being sick also steals the ability to taste. Maybe this will be the pregnancy of functioning tastebuds.

I made your steak 'n stuff pitas for dinner last night. there are definitely fringe benefits to having had a good cook for a roommate!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

It so happens that I got the pita recipe from yet another roommate. Haven't made that recipe in a while - must revisit it.

As for the taste issue, I'm hoping that the current loss is mostly illness-related. It does seem to be getting better, so there's hope.