Friday, February 11, 2011

Learning to Love My Farmers' Market

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . trying a blood orange at the farmers' market. I've always been curious about them. This one was pretty good.

. . . watching Daniel grin as he flipped on a light switch.

. . . reading Daisy's profile on mormon.org. It's kinda trippy to think that of the 14 million Mormons in the world, the Church chose to interview someone I know.

. . . Joy insisting that she's a bird and needs to flap her wings as she walks.

And another thing . . .

. . . Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal Vegetable Miracle (about her family's year-long commitment to eat just they could grow or that was grown locally) inspired me visit a local farmers' market today. I'd been leery of it in the past because I thought the organic produce would be too pricy, but I discovered that it can be very economical if you're sensible about what you buy.

For example, the grocery store sells five pound boxes of satsuma mandarins for about $1.50/pound, but it's hard to tell whether they're all good, and it's even harder to eat them all before they dry out or go bad. At the FM I found satsumas for $2.50/pound, but I could handle and even sample them to make sure they're good, and then buy just as many as my family can eat before they get overripe. I spent less money and got a better product.

The celery situation is even better. I usually need ONE rib, not a whole bunch (which will then rot in my crisper drawer), and at the farmers' market a vendor let me have a single celery rib free when I bought some of his strawberries. Score.

6 comments:

Siobhan said...

When we have the time, we generally go to the farmer's market on Saturdays (during Session, this can be challenging). There are two within an easy distance of us and oddly enough, the farmer's markets here are generally less expensive than the grocery store. And it's nice to support local small business. I'm glad you had a chance to try one out--I really enjoy them!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I like ours, too. In addition to the chance to buy healthy food and support local growers, I enjoy the friendly vibe.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

P.S. I bet your market is cheaper than the store because its goods don't need to be shipped across an ocean.

Siobhan said...

I think that's true, for the most part, although even locally-grown produce in the supermarket is more expensive than the farmer's market. Go figure. :)

FlowaPowa said...

haha... That's so embarrassing but glad you found it! Did you create a profile yet? They are always looking for more people to interview so you may end up knowing more people on there!

p.s. LOVE blood oranges.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I've made a profile and told a little about myself, but I haven't gotten around to fleshing it out much. It's on my to-do list.

When I saw your profile I considered mentioning it on the RS blog, but wasn't sure if you'd appreciate the spotlight. :)