Friday, December 9, 2011

Poetry, Prose, and Zucchini Bread

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . learning that the LA Arboretum may be closed for months while they clean up after the wind storm.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . eating homemade chocolate zucchini bread. I would choose it over chocolate cake any day.

. . . meeting with my monthly book group. It was pleasant to talk with a bunch of grown-ups, especially ones who like books.

. . . browsing through Anguished English (a book I own but haven't read in years) and getting a good laugh out of it. It is full of accidental bits of humor such as "Why go elsewhere to be cheated, when you can come here?" and "Unless I get my money soon, I will be forced to live an immortal life."

And another thing . . .

. . . the book group met at my home tonight. I ought to host parties more often--it is practically the only thing that motivates me to seriously tidy my house.

. . . while I was driving today, I heard a public radio interview about the old practice of having students memorize poems. I don’t usually consider myself a fan of poetry, mainly because I don’t like puzzling over the hidden meanings enshrouded in the abstract murkiness of many poems. As I listened to the interview, though, I got to thinking about the handful of poems I’ve memorized over the years: “The Jabberwock” and “O Captain, My Captain” because my dad loves them, “A Psalm of Life” because I admired Longfellow in high school, and “The White Rose” by John Boyle O’Reilly just because I fancied it. It was pleasant to recall those familiar bits of word music I carry around in my heart.

No comments: