Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Burgers and Breakers

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . tripping our circuit breaker a half dozen times while I was making dinner. The electric grill and toaster had never overloaded the breaker before, and I couldn't fathom why tonight was any different until Phillip realized we had the air conditioner on in the kids' room.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . Daniel sitting through family home evening with us (he usually wanders around doing his own thing instead). He even came over by the piano with us when we sang.

And another thing . . .

. . . I made hamburgers tonight, and Phillip always likes to have chips with them. I'm not a huge fan of chips, and I don't think they're very good for you (though that argument has certainly never stopped me from eating fudge or cheesecake), but I love my husband so I make sure we have chips on hand whenever I make burgers. To his credit, he's good about not getting them out of the pantry until the kids have eaten their fill of burgers and sides, because once the chips appear the kids won't touch anything else.

Today I decided to use that fact to my advantage. In addition to the burgers, I served up strawberries and corn on the cob--healthy things everyone likes. I figured we'd all fill up on good food and no one would be interested in the chips. I obviously underestimated my family, because after everyone ran out of steam eating the healthy food, Phillip still retrieved the Doritos from the pantry and the kids' faces lit up like neon signs. I sighed and began clearing the dishes.

2 comments:

Siobhan said...

Strawberries pair well with chili dogs also. :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Good to know. :)