Friday, August 26, 2011

Inspiration and More Yogurt

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . Daniel's occasional tantrums featuring a truly piercing scream.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . visiting a new member of our ward. She seems very friendly and cheerful, and it's always fun to be around someone like that.

. . . playing games with Joy (though I can only handle so many rounds of Candyland before I need a break).

And another thing . . .

. . . I tried making crockpot yogurt again last night. This time I used a thermometer to check temperatures, and discovered that my initial heating didn't get the milk hot enough. That's probably why my first result was so thin and soupy. My second batch was definitely thicker and more yogurty, but it still wasn't as thick as store-bought versions. That will be fine for lassis (which no one will complain about), but my goal is to make yogurt my kids and I would want to eat with a spoon. I've read that adding powdered milk can thicken it some more, so I think I'll try that next time.

. . . today I read Elder Holland's talk "An Ensign to the Nations," in which he notes that General Conference speakers are rarely assigned a topic. Rather, each speaker will "fast and pray, study and seek, start and stop and start again until he or she is confident that for this conference, at this time, his or hers is the topic the Lord wishes that speaker to present regardless of personal wishes or private preferences." It occurred to me that I have the same privilege--and responsibility--to earnestly seek God's inspiration any time I teach in church, at home, or when I'm visiting someone on the Lord's errand.

No comments: