Thursday, August 4, 2011

Swimming, A Shower, and the Super Committee

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . Joy replaying the same three minutes of Toy Story 2 over and over and over while I prepared dinner. If I hear Slinky say "My back end's going to Beirut!" one more time . . .

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . swimming with the kids at my parents' home. We had a great time playing in the water together.

. . . attending the baby shower my friend Pearl threw for me. It was fun to just relax and talk with the other women for a while.

And another thing . . .

. . . for the past few weeks, the debt ceiling debate has dominated the news and been a nearly constant subject of discussion on the local public radio station. Everyone was deeply concerned about our "dysfunctional" Congress and the Greece-like economic calamity that would surely ensue if they didn't reach some compromise by August 2. That was yesterday, and my day was so hectic that it didn't even occur to me to check the news to see whether our country had careened over the economic precipice.

This morning when I got in the car, I eagerly turned on the news to hear what had happened (I assumed Congress had reached some last minute compromise). I didn't hear a word about debt ceiling, tax hikes, spending cuts, or anything related thereto. I heard about Hosni Mubarak's trial, a local police beating, and a recall on ground turkey, but nothing about how the debt crisis that gripped our nation for week was actually resolved. I had to go to Google News and scroll down the US News page a bit before I finally learned about the super committee and such. Sheesh.

No comments: