Saturday, August 20, 2011

Make Lassis, Not War

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . washing all of Daniel's bedding TWICE today because he keeps taking his diaper off when he's in bed. I tried wrapping it in packing tape at naptime, but when I peeked in a while later he had pulled all the tape off and was playing with it. When I checked again he was asleep, diaperless, and wet. BIG sigh. After the nap, we headed to a clothing store to buy some pajamas that zip up. Hopefully a zipper with a safety pin at the top will solve our problem.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . a friend watching the kids while I ran some kid-free errands. Sometimes it's really nice to just browse without having to worry whether your bambinos will wander off or demolish a display.

. . . my sister-in-law calling on her wedding day to say she's thinking of me and wishes I could have come. I'd been thinking about her, too--I'm so happy for her and her sweetheart. She also said that every time she thinks of me she prays Baby won't come until Phillip gets home. Thank you.

And another thing . . .

. . . the homemade yogurt I mentioned yesterday didn't thicken up much overnight. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or if I should try using one of the thickeners I've read about (e.g. a little gelatin or 1/2 c powdered milk). I was a little disappointed, but decided to make lemonade of the lemons, so to speak. More specifically, I decided that thin yogurt would be just fine for making a lassi, a yogurt-based drink popular in India.

I made a mango lassi for dinner--it was fairly good but I think it needed more sugar. Then after the kids went to bed I threw ethnic authenticity out the window and made a pumpkin lassi by blending a cup of the yogurt with a few spoonfuls of pumpkin butter. Now THAT was tasty. I think I may try some frozen strawberries or banana tomorrow.

2 comments:

Lizardbreath McGee said...

My niece went digging for treasure in her diaper until my sister put her in a zip-up one-piece pajama suit. A safety pin at the top helped too.

I just wanted to let you know that such a solution has worked for a kid I know. I hope it works for yours! :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Bleh. Joy used to do that. There are no words for the revulsion and aggravation it inspired in her mother.