Monday, August 15, 2011

The Ice Cream Quest and the Nasally Bat

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . all the little aches and unpleasantries of the last weeks of pregnancy.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . a trip to Menchie's with the kids. I usually go with their fro yo, but today I couldn't resist the watermelon sorbet.

. . . playing ring toss with Joy's pool ring for our family home evening activity.

. . . reading a library board book called Say Boo to Daniel, and hearing him crack up every time I used a nasally voice for the bat's lines.

And another thing . . .

. . . every now and then, I get a bee in my bonnet about some recipe (e.g. meatloaf, chocolate cookies, mac n cheese), and try multiple variations until I finally find one I really like (or, in the case of the mac n cheese, I discover that Trader Joe's makes a frozen version that heats in the microwave and beats anything I've made, hands down).

Lately I've fixated on ice cream. My ice cream maker has been gathering dust in the cupboard, and I want to find a delicious recipe that is easy, eggless, is less than half cream, doesn't freeze into a brick, and requires little or no time at the stove. I'm not sure such a recipe exists, but I've found a few potential candidates on the web and we'll see how they turn out.

If all else fails, I may just set the machine going when we sit down to dinner, and settle for a dessert of soft serve ice cream or sorbet straight out of the machine. There are certainly worse things to eat on a warm summer day.

No comments: