Monday, August 8, 2011

Three Dreams and Ice Cream

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . teaching a Relief Society lesson (based on this talk) that went smoothly and which I felt was uplifting to all parties. Actually, the best part was studying and preparing for it. As I read through the talks President Monson has given since he was sustained as prophet three years ago, I found counsel on parenting, and general priorities that spoke directly to my current needs. I was also touched by his testimony of Heavenly Father and of the Savior. I got the clear sense that he has personal experience feeling God's love and His guiding hand, and he wants each of us to live so we can experience that, too.

. . . chatting at the ward's quarterly potluck, and sampling countless things from the dessert table.

. . . actually producing some creamy ice cream in my ice cream maker that didn't involve eggs and was less than half heavy cream. The recipe came from this book, and unlike most other recipes I've tried, you can actually scoop it after it's been in the freezer for a few hours. I'm already anxious to try a few other recipes in her book.

And another thing . . .

. . . last night I dreamed that I taught my lesson three times. First I taught teenagers, who kept falling asleep (perhaps I was teaching early morning seminary). I also taught four-year-olds, who were constantly distracted and really just wanted to color. Lastly, I taught Relief Society sisters, but I finished super early, which is my worst nightmare as a teacher. At church, I related these dreams to the sisters and said I hoped everyone would be awake, attentive, and offer lots of comments on my "fourth" attempt to teach this lesson.

No comments: