Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Note To Martha on a Hot Summer Day

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . checking the Weather Channel's website, and discovering that it was 103 in our town this afternoon. Thank goodness for air conditioning.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . Daniel giggles.

. . . remembering that God can ultimately turn my weaknesses into strengths if I humbly, consistently seek His help (Ether 12:27).

And another thing . . .

Dear Martha Stewart,

A friend recently shared with me the Zucchini and Yellow Squash Gratin recipe from your website. I made it tonight, and though it was rather tasty (as things tend to be when one adds cream, garlic, and bread crumbs), I have one quibble with it.

As you are, no doubt, aware (since I'm sure you're one of the half dozen people who checks my blog on a regular basis), I am a chronic under-seasoner. Consequently, when a recipe just says "add salt to taste," I can virtually guarantee it will come out bland because I never seem to sprinkle in enough of that good old sodium chloride. Such was the case today. The gratin, though fairly good, would have been much better if I'd added more salt to the veggies.

I realize that your readers vary widely in the amount of salt they like in their food, but I humbly request that you at least give me an approximation of how much you use. You can even tack on "or to taste" at the end, if you want to.

Regards,
Kimberly Bluestocking

P.S. I would also encourage you to post instructions on how to cook this dish in a solar oven, since firing up my conventional oven on a 103-degree summer day is not a pleasant experience, even if the gratin is only going to cook in there for ten minutes.

1 comment:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Darling--you are a rock. I didn't even know you were pregnant. Do nothing for the next four months but cuddle that baby and read to the big ones and smile a lot at your husband. Your family will survive beautifully on PB and J. (Unless there are peanut allergies, of course.) I now understand that it really does go so fast. Don't miss a minute by cleaning the house.