Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Building a Shack and Dragging a Tire

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . getting hit by the baby bus (translation: Anna woke me up about every two hours last night, and I got up this morning feeling tired as heck). Fortunately Phillip was here to help me get the kids ready this morning, but I was really dragging by dinnertime.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . throwing convention out the window and making microwaved s'mores using peanut butter cookies smeared with Nutella. They were pretty good. Would have been better if the mallow had been roasted with an actual fire, though.

. . . making a "haunted shack" for our home evening activity. It's like a gingerbread house, but we used graham crackers instead of gingerbread, and decorated with candy corn, gumdrops, and M&Ms. I handled the icing, Phillip supervised construction and carved graham cracker tombstones, Joy stuck on the candy, and Daniel ate up all the sweets we gave him.

And another thing . . .

. . . sometimes parenting reminds me of my days on the high school track team, when my coach made us sprint with a heavy tire tied behind us. While I'm sure it strengthened me, it was also very frustrating when I wanted to dash along at top speed but the weight I was towing cut my pace in half.

I often feel the same way these days. There are tons of things I need to do, and many more that I want to do, and I would love to work through them quickly and efficiently. I can't really do that when my hands, my attention, or both are occupied by at least one of my children most of the time. I know this is just a stage of life, and there will be phases when I have more time than I know what to do with, but sometimes it's hard to be patient and enjoy the phase you're in.

No comments: