Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Kicks and Giggles

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . realizing that buying pumpkins today probably mattered more to me than to the rest of my family members combined. I feel like many of my efforts to do fun things as a family end up being anticlimactic and often downright stressful. I wonder if the memories will be rosier than the events themselves, or if I’m just going about this all wrong.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . Anna kicking her legs enthusiastically as I got ready to feed her. It was fun to see her get so excited about something.

. . . a giggle fest with Daniel.

. . . hearing Joy reciting the "Pledge of Allegiance" to Daniel after we put them to bed. She calls it "talking to the flag."

And another thing . . .

. . . a friend recently blogged about her children's nicknames, which got me thinking about my kids' nicknames. My children came up with the nicknames I use (I don't think anyone else uses them, except for Daniel in one case). Joy used to call herself "Dwah" and Daniel "Dan-o;" she has since matured enough to pronounce both names properly, but I still use her toddler versions now and then. Daniel calls Anna "Mih-mih," which I think is even cuter than her real name. I'll probably call her Mih-mih until she starts junior high and begs me to stop. Even then, I may not be able to help myself.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm with you on the anti-climactic and stressful part. Sometimes simplifying things helps.

For example, the best Christmas dinner ever was the time we had homemade oatmeal together. Everyone was just barely over the flu and starting to digest food again. We all loved it, and there was no stressful, complicated meal-making, inevitably with kids quarreling because they like to try and get attention at times I can't give it (at least not without something burning).

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

The simple pleasures really do seem to be the more enjoyable ones. Daniel was more interested in the bag one of our decorations came in than in the item itself.

Do you think kids consciously seek attention at inopportune times, or is that just the way the (burnt) cookie crumbles now and then?

Cathy said...

I almost have to say it's conscious, given that I'm not on the phone that often but something inevitably occurs when I am...

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Good point, though their thought process probably isn't "this is an inopportune--and therefore perfect--moment to bug Mom," but rather "I want Mom's attention and it's currently absorbed by something else; time to rectify that."