Sunday, October 30, 2011

Garlic and Wheat

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . planting some garlic in the borrowed garden. In the past I've had a hard time getting over to it often enough to keep weeds at bay and harvest what the plants produce, but I can't bear to have someone offer me their plot and not take advantage of it, at least in a small way. I've made a plan to get over there at least twice a week to check the garlic's progress and do battle with the morning glories. I may plant a few other things, too, but for now I'm just happy to have something in the ground. I've never grown garlic before, and I'm curious to see how it will do.

. . . buying wheat and flour for a ridiculously low price at the local bishop's storehouse. It was also nice to show my kids the little grocery section where bishops can refer ward members who need financial assistance. I explained how we take care of each other in the Church, paying offerings to help others in need, and when they get back on their feet they'll pay to feed other people, maybe even us if we ever run into trouble. It's comforting to be part of a community that takes care of each other, and to know that we have that support system if we ever need it.

. . . checking out the creative costumes at the ward Trunk-or-Treat. I love seeing what people come up with.

. . . watching a BYU quarterback high-five the referee.

No comments: