Saturday, November 19, 2011

Chicken and Potatoes

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . losing my temper with Daniel over something trivial. I tried to make it up to him by finding positive ways to interact the rest of the evening. Sometimes I'm so glad kids have short memories.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . dancing to The Mummer's Dance with Anna.

. . . successfully roasting my first whole chicken. I say "successful" in the sense that it didn't burn or dry out, and I managed to remove most of the meat from the bones. It could have used some more flavor, though--perhaps more salt, or some herbs under the skin. I also finally cooked some skillet potatoes that had good texture and weren't bland.

. . . Phillip liking the chicken and loving the potatoes; he couldn't stop talking about how great they were. I was also pleasantly surprised that Joy ate a bunch of the chicken and tried a piece of broccoli. You can't please everyone, though--Daniel wouldn't have anything to do with the chicken or the broccoli. I tried to convince him that the potatoes were french fries and he permitted me to put some on his plate, but he wouldn't touch them. Maybe next time.

And another thing . . .

. . . when I was growing up, chicken was all white meat at our house and never contained bones. I didn't even know you could buy chicken thighs until my college roommate Cathy decided to put some in a soup. I still prefer breast meat in soup and in recipes where chicken is just a convenient protein letting other flavors take center stage, but when the chicken is the star I find I prefer dark leg meat. It's more flavorful, and doesn't get dry and tough as easily as breast meat does.

No comments: